Kingdom Focus

It has been a couple months since I last wrote on this blog.  And, a lot has happened since then.  Over the course of the next few posts, I fully intend to share with you some of what has happened.  But, as I write this morning, I want to share a single focus – the Kingdom of God!  I have done a lot of reading this summer about our need to focus on this Kingdom.  I have scoured the Scriptures regarding the Kingdom (did you know that the Kingdom of God/Heaven is mentioned specifically more than 100 times in the New Testament alone?).  I have dug deep in considering what it would look like for us, as a school, to “make Kingdom disciples”.  I am fully convinced that believers are called to be Kingdom-focused with our eyes on the King (more so than on us).  Too often, I am afraid, we (or should I say I) get too wrapped up in my own kingdom, my own world, and I lose sight of the SO THAT of life – the reason why we do what we do.  Even as I study ways that we can get better at focusing on the Kingdom, I tend to lose sight of the King.

This morning, I am reminded of the adage – God is good, all the time.  He has blessed me with a laser-like kingdom focus today.  I lost a good friend to ALS (Lou Gehrig”s disease) yesterday.  Cliff, a man my age, with a beautiful wife, a daughter Stephen’s age, and a son James’ age – who happens to be one of James’ best friends – can see the King in all of His glory today.  I am very sad, and very jealous.  My tears mix great sorrow with sure hope in the final conquest of death promised in the resurrection of Jesus Christ.  Cliff is experiencing eternal life right now.  The Bible is true – absolutely true!  God created our world (Genesis 1 & 2).  Man sinned and marred every aspect of it (Genesis 3).  God promised redemption almost immediately (before Genesis 3 is complete).  God is sovereignly working to bring about that redemption that will one day be consummated in a new heaven and new earth (Genesis 3 – Revelation).  God has chosen us, called us, to serve Him in His Kingdom.  The Kingdom is real!  The King is Jesus!  ALL that we do is to be in service to the King.  Cliff sees clearly now what we see dimly.  Jesus began His earthly ministry with the words, “Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand” (Matthew 4:17).  Cliff knows this.  I believe it.  Let’s live for the King!