Psalm 78 and END-OF-YEAR Graduations&Ceremonies

It is hard to believe that the 2014-2015 school year is coming to a close.  And with the end of each year comes the obligatory graduations and celebrations.  I have had the privilege of attending quite a few this year – with more to come.  I have heard some outstanding speeches by students, teachers/professors, administrators, and even parents.  In each of these, the “graduates” (including those finishing college, finishing high school, and even finishing kindergarten) have been charged to use their gifts to make a difference in the world.  As one with many ties to Christian schools, I have been particularly blessed to hear this extended to the need to fulfill God’s calling in your life to impact His kingdom.  I have had numerous people tell me that they are even more confident in the future of our society as they see the next generation of Christians ready take on the world.  While I agree, I have been thinking lately beyond this generation.  Allow me to explain…

You have probably seen the news reports.  Christianity is shrinking.  Christians are abandoning their faith in droves.  Students, even those in Christian schools, are walking away from their faith at alarming rates.  There may be some truth in these statements.  But, as I read the Scriptures, faith has never been a popularity contest.  Old Testament patriarchs were in the minority.  The prophets were outnumbered.  Jesus was pretty effective with twelve disciples, even though there are cases where the Bible speaks of followers walking away because the teachings of Jesus were “hard sayings.”  The early churches had detractors from the beginning.  We still do.  BUT GOD… He remains true even when His people do not.  I believe Psalm 78 is a case in point.  From verses 8-72, the Psalmist gives a history lesson where he reminds the readers time and time again of a sad cycle:  First, God established a covenant with His people; second, the people rebelled; third, God disciplined them; fourth, they repented; fifth, God led them; sixth, they rebelled; and so on and so on and so on.  The last verses of the chapter speak of God choosing David to lead His people.  The Psalmist ends on a high note, but we know that David followed this pattern himself.

What is even more amazing to me in this Psalm is the first seven verses.  It is here that the Psalmist basically tells the readers that they need to continue to tell the next generation about their history – particularly “…the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, his power, and the wonders he has done.” (Ps. 78:4b).  Then he says WHY this is so important.  “…so the next generation would know them, even the children yet to be born, and they in turn would tell their children.  Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands.” (Ps. 78:6-7)  One of the reasons we teach our kids about the Lord is so that they would walk in the truth.  But, another reason is so that they would teach it to their kids – the ones yet to be born (our grandkids) – and then they would tell their kids (our great-grandchildren)!

As I closed out the WCCS Kindergarten program last evening, I shared briefly that my prayer is that the kids who sang God’s praises on stage would grow up to be children who walk in the truth all the days of their lives.  I also told them, though, that it doesn’t stop there.  My prayer is that they would teach their children and their children’s children to do the same.  It will be those children, our great-grandchildren, who will populate the churches in the year 2100.

What a tremendous joy it is to see so many students sent on their way to walk in the truth now, and to pass on their faith to their children and the generations that follow!