Easter – or Easter Break???

I have always appreciated those who are intentional to “keep Christ in Christmas.”  As a parent and an educator, it is always challenging to remember “the reason for the season” as Christmas break approaches each December.  By that point in the year, we are all ready for a break.  Yep – you know where I am going…

Easter break (also known as spring break to many) also comes at a time of the year when we are ready for a break.  I know that I am looking forward to a change of pace for the next week – and am VERY excited to be heading to St. Louis for Easter weekend where our whole family will gather in the small apartment of our seminarians.  I can’t wait to have all seven of us worshipping together in Stephen and Kayla’s church on Easter morning.  I expect we will visit “the arch”, the St. Louis zoo, and quite a few other St. Louis sites (think St. Louis Cardinals baseball).  But, the capstone of our visit will be our time of worshipping together… on Easter Sunday… THE day that we celebrate the death of death for the children of God.

I have actually seen the St. Louis arch before.  It is very impressive – an architectural wonder.  BUT, it pales in comparison to the resurrection of our Lord and Savior – the greatest event in human history.  The event that secures salvation for those who call on the name of the Lord.  WOW!  As we head into Easter break, may we all be overwhelmed at the thought of our Heavenly Father sending His one and only Son to live a perfect life and to die a horrendous death to fulfill His promise to provide a Savior who would take away the sins of the world – including MINE (I John 2:2).

My prayer this Easter is that we would long for the King and His Kingdom while we enjoy our break that happens in the spring…