REMEMBER!

4K Triangle Parade

4K Triangle Parade

As I sit to write this blog installment, it is Friday, October 9th.  My day began in the Lower School Gym of Westminster Catawba Christian School as I attended my first-ever 4K TRIANGLE PARADE.  For those unfamiliar, it is exactly as it sounds.  Our four-year-olds have been learning about triangles doing everything from finding them in the world around them to drawing them to combining them to form other shapes.  So, these students paraded around the inside of our gym (with most of the lower school students sitting in the middle and lots of parents and grandparents on hand to take in the festivities) displaying triangles in every way you could imagine – all while making as much noise as possible.  What else would you expect of a parade???  And, while I thoroughly enjoyed the parade of smiling faces, I think I most enjoyed watching the parents taking pictures.  At one point, I surveyed the room and counted 39 cameras in use – everything from mobile phones to iPads to some really nice actual cameras!  As I stood there enjoying the parade, I thought about how my day is scheduled to come to an end.

Tonight is Senior Night for our fall sports teams.  That means that my wife and I will have the privilege of walking onto the WCCS soccer field with Andrew, our senior soccer player.  I know from our instructions on the evening that there will be lots of pictures taken there as well – as they should be.  I am actually looking forward to getting a few pics to send to our extended family who won’t be able to attend.  Then, my mind wandered one more time to the third event that I was supposed to be a part of today, but can’t because of Senior Night.  My high school graduating class (the Westminster Academy Class of 1985) is celebrating their 30-year reunion in South Florida tonight.

I remember us being much happier than this!

In our world of social media, there have been LOTS of pictures from my high school days posted online in the last few weeks in anticipation of this reunion – and I have copied one to the right of a pretty good basketball team back in the day.  I know that many of my high school classmates plan on spending time this weekend remembering (and likely looking at pictures to jog their memories) and updating each other with regards to the last thirty years.

Pictures are great!  They are literally a snapshot in time – to help us remember!  They also give us an opportunity to see God’s handiwork!  As I look back at pictures of me in high school, fond memories flood my mind.  But, those are quickly followed by the awareness of God’s goodness and His faithfulness.  I am not that young man in the picture.  Yes, that means that I am no longer young.  But, it also means that God has thirty years of sanctifying work in me to make me more like Jesus.  I look forward to standing with my son this evening and celebrating his senior year.  I also look forward to seeing what God will do in and through him in the next thirty years.  And, those four-year-olds that paraded around the gym this morning will be seniors before we know it – and I pray that God will be working on them the whole time as well.

To my classmates from Westminster Academy, I will miss being with you this weekend.  Know that I am with you in spirit and that I pray God’s richest blessings on every one of you.  To the seniors who will be recognized tonight, I pray that God will use you to impact His kingdom now and in the future!  And, to the four-year-olds (and their parents), may God bless you as you look at the pictures from this morning and give you great hope that He will be your God all the days of your life!

4 thoughts on “REMEMBER!

1. As the old math teacher that I am I couldn’t help but think that the greatest triangle of all is “The Father, Son, and Holy Ghost”. I am so proud of the Class of 85 that tears come to my eyes. Blessings to you as you lead those students in the real Christian World View.

• GREAT to hear from you Mr. Fagley! So sorry I couldn’t be there this weekend, but seeing pics with you there made me miss it even more. Thanks for pointing me to my calling in Christian education – first as a math teacher and then administrator!